Image via Wikipedia
- Is Coconut a tree? No it is not a tree. Million of people around the world including Filipinos believed that coconut is a tree.
- Who gave the name Coconut? It was England who gave its name as Coconut.
- What is the sexuality of Coconut? Coconut is polygamomonoecious. The sexuality of a plant is determine through its flower. The flower of a plant is classified as female reproductive organ, male reproductive organ and bisexual reproductive organ. The Coconut plant has all these types of sexual organs, the reason why its sexuality is called polygamomonoecious.
- Where was Coconut originated? Until now nobody can tell the origin of coconut. The origin of this plant is not yet fully determined as it is still subject for debate.
- Philippines is the top Coconut producing country. Among the eleven top coconut producing countries Philippines is number one.
- What are the benefits and uses of Coconut? Coconut has thousands uses – from the tips of its leaves down to the tips of its roots. Its feather-leaves, fruits, trunks and roots are sources of useful raw materials for production purposes of thousands kinds: foods, beverages, oil, thatching fiber, utensils and ornaments, desserts and for the making of children’s toys.
- What other benefits of Coconut? The husk and shells can be used for fuel and are good source of charcoal and for polishing floors and sometimes it is used in theaters to create the sound effect of a horse’s hoof-beats and also used for making the bodies of musical instruments including the Chinese yehu and banhu and the Vietnamese dan gao.
- The tree is a source of oil and milk too and could be used as hair’s conditioner, cooking and massaging oils and also used as a medicament for swelling wounds, treating pimples, for dry skin and other skin diseases.
- Scientific studies have shown that coconut oil has anti-microbial and anti-viral properties and is now even being used in treating AIDS patients. Studies conducted in the Philippines showed that coconut oil does indeed reduce the viral load in AIDS patients.
- Dr. Bruce Fife, a naturopathic doctor and the author of “The Healing Miracles of Coconut Oil” said, “Coconut oil is the healthiest oil on earth.” That claim was supported by Jon J. Kabara, PH.D and Professor Emeritus, Michigan State University says, “Never before in the history of man is it so important to emphasize the value of lauric oils. The medium-chain fats in coconut oil are similar to fats in mother’s milk and have similar nutriceutical effects.”
Full Story What You Know About Coconut